With safe-distancing in place during COVID-19, gathering photos and notes at the scene may be more challenging. This checklist on our blog post offers best practices and tips to help you with the claims process.
1. Make sure you’re safe• Check for injuries; call 911 and request an ambulance when in doubt.
- If the car accident is minor, move vehicles out of traffic to a safe place.
- Shift into park, turn off your vehicle, and turn on the hazard lights.
- Use cones, warning triangles, or flares for added safety, if you have them.
2. Don’t admit fault
- Don’t sign anything unless it's for the police.
- Be polite, but don't tell anyone the accident was your fault, even if you think it was.
3. Call the police
Call the police, even if the accident is minor. A police report is invaluable to the claim process, since it helps ensure the incident details get documented accurately, and establish whose fault it was. (For more on police reports, check out this blog post.)
4. Take photos
This is the quickest way to record the scene of the accident and collect basic information. Snap pictures of all vehicles involved, their license plates, and surroundings, if it is safe to do so. (It may also be helpful to sketch the intersection, the cars’ path, or record audio notes).
5. Collect information
Gather information from others involved in the accident.
- Drivers and passengers: names and contact information
- Vehicle descriptions (make, model, year)
- Driver's license numbers
- License plate numbers
- Insurance companies and policy numbers
- Eyewitnesses: names and contact information
- Accident scene location and/or address
- Police officer's name and badge number
If the other driver is angry or aggressive, just wait in your car for the police to arrive.
6. Report your claim
If you have the HiRoad Android app, you can report your claim in the app, which will be faster than calling.
From the HiRoad app, tap the Incidents tab and choose “glass damage” if it’s your windshield or windows are damaged. Choose “file new claim” for all other types of losses. Each option chosen from the app directs you to the correct department.